San Juan Bautista church in Laguardia
This church was begun in Romanesque style and work continued through the 13&14C in Gothic. It was extended in the 16C and further in the 17&18C. On of a Latin cross ground plan, it has a nave, two aisles, three apses, and a large Gothic chapel.
The Southern portal is 12C Romanesque with sculptures of the Annunciation. The Gothic tower is fortified and may have been part of the town defences. The baroque high altar dates from 1694 and is by Francisco Jimenez. There are many interesting works of art in the church, including a Christ, a Mater Dolorosa and a St John baptistery, all 15C. The Renaissance choir stalls are by Esteban Bertin and Nicolás von Harlem and date from 1558. The sacristy, which has wall paintings by Pedro Baldini, has some fine Renaissance furniture. The Capilla Nuestra Señora del Pilar stands on the site of the original main entrance; it is an octagonal baroque structure of 1732-40 by Juan Bautista de Arbaya There is a 14C image of the Virgin M (painted in 16- 17C) over the original portal.
Average customer review Score for San Juan Bautista church