These peculiar houses get their name because they are built on the edge of a cliff with the large balconies that project outward, suspended over the Húecar river below. The houses were first depicted by the Flemish artist Anton van den Wyngaerde in 1565.
The original hanging houses were built in the years between the XIII century to the XV century, making it all the more impressive. Over the years they have needed renovations and upkeep, of course, but the buildings have been standing for centuries. Only three 100% original houses still stand and can be visited.
One of the more modern buildings houses the Spanish Museum of Abstract Art. The museum displays an assortment of sculptures and paintings from the 50’s and 60’s belonging to the abstract movement. Artists like Antoni Tàpies, Eduardo Chillida, and Fernando Zobel are all featured in this wonderful little museum.