The cathedral of Pamplona has a Latin cross plan, with a nave and two aisles. Its design has a strong French influence. The church has numerous side chapels beneath the buttresses, as well as an apse with further chapels. It is roofed by a groin vault. The classical façade and the two 170 ft. tower date from 1783 and are the work of Ventura Rodríguez, a very famous architect of that time. One of the interesting facts about the Cathedral of Pamplona is that it has the largest bell in Spain. It is located in the right tower. The bell of the cathedral of Pamplona was cast at the end of the 16C and weighs 12 tons.
The Car Mayor has choir stalls of 1540 by Kan de Obray. A statue of the Virgen, also called Santa María la Real(the patroness of the church), was added to a Renaissance statue of the Infant Christ.
In the nave, in front of the splendid wrought-iron Renaissance grille, stands the sarcophagi of King Charles III and his wife Leonor of Castile. This alabaster tomb (1416) is the work of the Flemish sculptor Janin de Lomme and has the recumbent figures of the couple and relief with hooded men and lamenting women. The altarpieces in the chapels are of various dates. The altars of the chapels dedicated to San Blas, Santa Catalina, Christ and San Fermin, as well as the altars of St.Joseph and San Jerónimo in the transept, are all baroque.
The chapels of San Juan Bautista, Santa Cristina and the Caparroso Chapel all have 15C altarpieces. A beautiful crucifix in the Capilla del Santo Cristo also dates from the 15C. From the Southern transept, you can get to the cloister via an interesting portal, which dates from the 14C and has a bas-relief of a scene from the life of the Virgin.
The Gothic cloister has beautifully decorated capitals. It is divided into four parts, the oldest of which are the North and East walks. These date from the time of Bishop Barbazán. The South and West sides were presumably built under Charles III. In the North east of the cloister there is an Adoration of the Magi by Jacques Perut (early 14C). A 15th Century Madonna and Child is preserved in the chapel of Bishop Barbazán. The cloister has another beautiful portal, the Puerta Preciosa (14C). The tympanum of this door has carved scenes from the life of the Virgin. Sarcophagi of Prince Leonel of Navarre and his wife Elfa (15C). The tomb is adorned with a Calvary carved in stone. Tomb of the Conde de Gages by Robert Michel (late 18C). The Diocesan Museum is housed in the former refectory. In the tympanum is the Last
supper and the Entry of Jesus into Jerusalem. Apart from a large number of 13th &14th C sculptures, the Diocesan Museum also houses Gothic and Renaissance paintings, sacred objects, as well as a splinter of the Cross, which is preserved in a finely-wrought reliquary of 1401. You can find more information on Cathedrals in Spain in our complete guide with the most beautiful cathedrals in the country.