The tour starts in Haro, a small town in Rioja, which has the highest concentration of wineries in Rioja, and a long history of wine production. Haro is a fantastic example of an ancient Riojan town, with its lovely square, stone covered streets and pretty churches, as well as its fantastic palace town houses, which were previously lived in by the ancient town´s rich and noble.
You can reach Haro by flying into the airport in Bilbao. If you need help with this, our team can help you.
Today you will walk from your hotel to visit 2 fantastic, high quality wineries, with guided tours. Afterwards you will have time to explore the wine town of Rioja, with its beautiful winding streets. Tonight we have organised for you a special Riojan menu (with different options to choose from) at one of the best local restaurants in this famous wine town.
Day 2 - Route of 14 kilometres
Having rested in your lovely hotel and enjoyed a delicious breakfast, you will set off on your route towards the lands of Rioja Alavesa. The route will take you close to the Ebro River and pass through charming towns and villages, such as Briñas, Labastida and San Vicente de la Sonsierra. We have chosen a lovely hotel for you surrounded by vineyards for your day in the small Riojan town of Alavesa.
Your itinerary contains some recommendations for the best things to see during your walk, such as monuments along the way, stunning view points, vineyards and local bars and restaurants to stop at for some local cuisine.
On arriving at your hotel, your luggage will be waiting for you.
You will be able to enjoy the spa and swimming pool at the hotel (included in the price).
Day 3- Route of 17 kilometres
After a delicious breakfast, the day will begin with a visit to the winery of your winery-hotel. This family run winery produces small amounts of wine. After your visit, you will set off through beautiful vineyard landscapes towards the charming wine town of Laguardia. On the way you will also see some fantastic examples of modern winery architecture, which contrast the traditional styles of many wineries and offer inspiring vanguard designs. Today we have organised for you to stop off on the way at the small town of Elciego, to enjoy a Riojan lunch.
After lunch, you will continue walking towards the town of Laguardia. Here you will enjoy a guided tour of an ancient family run winery, where you can taste local wines.
Tonight you will stay at one of the most charming hotels in Laguardia.
Day 4 – Route of 15 kilometres
Having enjoyed breakfast, you will have time to either stroll around Laguardia, enjoy the small local shops with their local products, visit the nearby lagoons, or one of the beautiful neighbouring vineyards.
Today a car will drive you down to Santo Domingo de la Calzada, a key stop off point in the famous ´Way of St. James´ pilgrimage walking route. You will have time to enjoy the town like one of the pilgrims and explore the town´s monuments. We will provide you with recommendations for the best places to enjoy lunch in this town.
After lunch, you will set off towards to your charming hotel, which is around 15 km away. Here your luggage will be waiting for you.
You can also request additional hotel spa access.
Day 5 – Final day
Having enjoyed the delicious breakfast at your charming hotel, the walking tour will come to an end. You could either move on to a another part of Spain, make your way back to the airport, or even spend a few more days in Rioja exploring the local wine and cuisine. Our travel team will be happy to help you move onto the next part of your trip, whatever your plans.
Walking tour in Galicia
A fantastic tour to enjoy Rioja on foot. The itinerary is a moderate rated walking tour, which offers daily walks of approximately 15 kilometres. You will walk amongst beautiful little villages of this part of Northern Spain, hundred-year-old vineyards, visit lovely wineries, stay in charming family run hotels and enjoy the best local gastronomy
- The convenience of having your luggage transported from one hotel to the next
- Routes to discover stunning vineyard landscapes and picturesque towns and villages on foot
- Discover the wine town of Haro, one of most important wine producing areas in the world
- Sleep in high quality accommodation: an ancient convent, a winery and Basque town mansion houses
- Possibility of arriving in Rioja from Bilbao, via convenient and easy bus transport to Haro
- The perfect way to experience the famous ´Way of St. James´ walking route (el Camino)
- Visit wineries full of character
- 4 nights’ accommodation in 4 charming hotels in Rioja (a renovated ancient convent, a hotel in a winery, and 2 renovated ancient Basque mansion houses)
- Luggage transport for days 2 and 3
- Transport across Rioja for you on day 4
- 4 visits to high quality wineries, with wine tastings
- A high quality Riojan meal on the first day of the tour in Haro
- Riojan food in the town of Elciego
- A complete travel itinerary for your trip, with detailed instructions for the walk and recommendations of things to see and do from our local experts
- Car rental (we can provide assistance to book a car for the duration of the trip)
- Airport transfers to and from the airport (we can offer this additional service on request, please contact us)
- Drinks or wines not in the ´Included section´, or hotel minibar access
- Trip insurance
- Anything not expressly listed in the ´Included´ section
- Price of the tour. 95% of the time the price quoted for the tour will be as on the tour page. However, in Spain there are a number of special festivals and holidays which may raise the price of certain local services, such as Easter, the Festival of San Mateo or San Fermines, etc. If you would like to make your reservation over some of these dates, this may mean that the given price may change. It would be a good idea to check your dates with us first or make your reservation in advance.
- How do I make my reservation?
To make your reservation proceed to the booking page by clicking on ´BOOK´ and filling out your dates and details. We require a 15% deposit to hold your reservation.
- I would like to do this trip, but I would like to make some changes
Absolutely, we would be happy to incorporate your preferences. If changes are minimal and would not change too many details, please do go ahead and book your tour through the BOOK portal, leaving us a note with your preferences. Your reservation already includes 2 hours extra ´personalised tour design´ work by one of our advisors, which should be enough time to make reasonable changes to the itinerary (see Included/Not Included section above)
- I would like to extend the trip and add another tour that I like
Yes, of course, please get in contact us with us with your preferences. Additionally, if you add another tour to this tour, you will receive a 5% discount on the second tour.
To make your reservation, please click on BOOK to select your dates and number of people. There is a 15% deposit of the total service to reserve the tour. The remaining amount can be paid when we send you your trip itinerary, or at least 30 days before the start of your trip.
If cancelled more than 30 days before the trip starts, 15% of the total trip price will be deducted to account for tour organisation and administration costs. If cancelled less than 30 days to the trip start date, a 30% fee will be deducted. Trips cancelled 7 days or less before the trip start date are non-refundable. We recommend taking out Travel Insurance.